Tuesday 26 December 2006

police siege

I left home for about fifteen minutes to get a bottle of bleach and a packet of screws (I really know how to celebrate Boxing Day) and when I was walking back up the High Road, I saw that the flats where I live – Streatham Court – had been cordoned off by police.

At the back of Streatham Court there is another block called Manor Court, which was the focus of a big police operation over several hours. Walking up Leigham Avenue, I could see police vans in numbers, officers with guns, riot shields and dogs.
Having a word with one of the officers across the tapes, it seems that a man with a knife was in the process of being apprehended after a number of alarming incidents in Streatham earlier in the day.

Eventually the police moved in and captured the man in his flat. He was taken away. I have to say, I was impressed not only by the scale of the operation, but also the efficiency with which it was managed. Though I and a number of other residents had to remain outside the cordon, we were allowed back to our homes as soon as it was safe.

No comments: