Monday 24 July 2006

Streatham Youth Court

The title of this post is not what it seems. Let me explain. I’m having a bit of a to-do with council officers over my objection to the use of the name Charles Court for a new development off Streatham High Road.

I may be getting a bit Pooterish, but this is the gist my objection. The use of a first name for a road or any other residential development adds little to the sense of history that should inform landmark naming in Streatham. Believe it or not, Charles Court seems to be the choice of the developer based purely on the first name of a man who once owned the land.

We might as well resign ourselves to calling new developments by names such as Betty Mansions or Derek Avenue or Bill Crescent. My view is we reduce the value of street names, and ignore local history, when we opt for the easy answer.

I’ve got a list of possible names which could be used. Top of my list is Edward Neale, born in Streatham in 1805. He was a prize fighter who, boxing as Ned Neale, went by the nickname of the "Streatham Youth". He died in 1846 and is buried in West Norwood. It’s a choice that would be in line with the council’s stated policy that a connection should "have a historical connection with the area ... [and] ... be a name of a notable person who was born or lived in the area."

Now obviously, Streatham Youth Court would be confusing, so we will have to leave that one alone. But what about Ned Neale Court, or simply Neale Court?

I’m not the only councillor who has objected to Charles Court apparently, and it transpires this matter of overwhelming importance is being referred to the Streatham Area Committee in September. Since the committee is dominated 9-3 by Lib Dems I have a suspicion we will have a lengthy discussion ending in the kind of comfortable compromise the Lib Dem majority can live with – Charles Court.

No comments: