Monday 5 March 2007

shopping with a sixteen-year-old

I took my niece, who is sixteen (and, arguably, sweet), out shopping today to buy some new clothes. This meant a lot of hanging around outside fitting rooms in various shops waiting for her to emerge in umpteen pairs of jeans, most of which looked the same to me.

We had a nice day out, and it was good to spend time with her, as I hadn’t seen her for a while. We chatted about her lifeguard training and had a good laugh at some of the weirder garments on display in the shops. But it’s almost impossible to take a day off. My phone was going at regular intervals, so I often found myself in the middle of two conversations like this:

“Hi John. Oh, hi, love. No, not you. Yes, they’re cool. No? They look like they fit to me. Sorry, John, say that again, no I wasn’t talking to you just then. No, it’s ok, I can talk. Sorry – say again? No, not you, love. Not you, John. Are you pleased with them? What’s that face for? Sorry, John, yes it sounds like a good idea, let’s do that. Maybe you can get them taken up. Yes, the jeans. No, it’s ok, I can talk. Well, try the other ones on then. What’s the timescale for that? And hurry up this time. No, not you. HOW much?!”

No comments: